About You

You are LOVED by God. There is nothing you can do, or can't do to make him love you more or less. He loves you because he loves you. Because you are His child.

YOU ARE~
Redeemed
Worthy
More then your past
Forgiven
Whole
Enough
Worth it
A treasure
Righteous
Free
Accepted
You matter.


Saturday, May 23, 2009

Proverbs 14:12

This morning I was reading in proverbs and something in the notes got me thinking.
For months I have been thinking about home schooling. Not dwelling on it, but the thought comes to my mind a lot.
It all started when I started working in the middle school ministry at church, and was around high school kids that were home schooled who were volunteering their time to work with the middle school kids. There was one girl in particular, she was in my group and her knowledge of God was amazing. But her relationship with God was even more amazing to me. It was just so obvious that she had a good relationship with the Lord.
I'm not thinking or saying that kids that go to school can't have relationships with God, but I almost wonder if they weren't exposed to so many bad worldly influences when they are very young would things be different when they are older?The thing is, I have had this thought about home schooling, and the desire to find out more about it, just inquire about it, but when I actually think about doing it with my kids, it really scares me. It almost gives me anxiety to think about it!
The reason that I think it is God that has put this in my heart is because.....I have always been one to wonder why people would want to home school? I had a neighbor who did it before we moved. I used to say, " I'd never want to do that!" or "I'm not smart enough to home school" or "That would be too stressful for me" Or " I'll never have time to myself then!" . I still have some of those thoughts, but they aren't like they used to be. The word, never is not in my vocabulary anymore. I'm actually considering it. I still don't think I'm smart enough, but if God wants me to do it, I know he'll help me.
I know God has put this in me, because I wouldn't even be considering it if he hadn't.
I was talking to a friend the other day and she said to pray that my motives were right about it. I think that's a really good idea. I have been doing that.
I sometimes think to myself, well, it would be much easier for me just to send them to school. Then I don't even have to deal with it, or worry about it.
This morning when reading, this is what I came across.
Proverbs 14:12
There is a way that seems right to a man, But in the end it leads to death.
I didn't think a whole lot about that until I read the notes at the bottom of the bible.
This is what it said..
The "way that seems right" may offer many options and require few sacrifices.( require me to give up free time I have coming?) Easy choices, however, should make us take a second look. (oh good) Is this solution attractive because it allows me to be lazy? Because it doesn't ask me to change my lifestyle? Because it requires no mortal restraints? The right choice often requires hard work and SELF SACRIFICE. Don't be enticed by apparent shortcuts that seem right but end in death.
Wow. That's what I said when I read that, and the first thing that came to my mind was homeschooling. Why do I get a sick anxious feeling when I think about trying to train my kids up and home school? Because it's going to take a lot of devotion and self sacrifice on my part. It's very scary.
I am meeting with someone at church tomorrow to talk about homeschooling. She is someone that does it and loves it. I feel like I have to start talking to others and getting more info to make an informed decision, and pray like a mad women. Because it would be SO easy for me to say, forget it, I'm not even going to go there! It would be easier not to.
But is that best?
Reading about discipline and parenting in the bible, about training up our own kids, and teaching them to love and honor God, makes me wonder, how did school ever come about in the first place? How did it go from kids being taught in the home to school? Just something to research I guess.
I love how the word is living. How I can read something one day and it doesn't mean a thing, then the next time I read it, it has so much meaning.
I wonder, will this be a new journey in my life, or will it just be something that passes and never happens.
I'll be praying for God's will!

No comments: