About You

You are LOVED by God. There is nothing you can do, or can't do to make him love you more or less. He loves you because he loves you. Because you are His child.

YOU ARE~
Redeemed
Worthy
More then your past
Forgiven
Whole
Enough
Worth it
A treasure
Righteous
Free
Accepted
You matter.


Thursday, September 17, 2009

Desires

For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.~ Philippians 2:13, NLT

This was my bible verse I got today in email. It hits home with me, mostly because God has put so many of HIS desires in my life this past year.
He constantly amazes me at how he changes me, to want things that he wants. Things that I would never imagine myself wanting or doing. He actually makes my heart ache for things that I wouldn't have dreamed of only a short year ago.
It reminds me of the verse,
Psalm 37:4- Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.
I think people use that verse in the wrong way, (myself included in the past) thinking that if you delight in the Lord, that he will give you what YOU want, or the desires that you yourself have. Unless those desires are to please him in some way, you've probably got it wrong, but the funny thing is, when he gives me desires that please him, it in turn is something that pleases me too. Take home schooling for instance, granted this is my first year, and I might grow weary of it, ( I hope not) but this is something I never desired to do, wasn't one of my top 10 things to do before I die, I used to just think, when my kids are all in school, I can have time for me! I can attend bible studies, mom time, exercise, clean the house and not have to worry about kids! But now I think so much differently, he puts that desire in me to home school, opened my eyes to things that I was blind to before, and now I am passionate about it. How amazing is that? On days when I find myself being prideful about homeschooling, and wondering why more Christians don't homeschool, I have to remind myself that it was HIM, not ME, that changed my heart and opened my eyes, it was HIS doing. HE get's the credit, not me. He's the one that get's the glory, not me.
Or before last August I was desiring a bigger house, now I'm wondering if we should downsize and use some of that extra money to help someone else. I hardly think that desire came from me. How could a desire like that come from a selfish, sinful human like myself? I enjoy our house, and our yard and the neighbors, but I think, is this all so important? Do we have excess that we could be sharing? That is God putting his desires into my heart, I love that. He will have me be content, keep me joyful, doing things he wants me to do, and living like he wants me to live. God is so cool. He has given me a heart for others, to want to help other people instead of being selfish and fulfilling my own needs. He has given me a desire to disciple my own children so they can teach their children how to love the Lord with all their hearts, he has helped my marriage by helping me to not think about me and my needs all the time, but my husbands needs and my kids needs. All these thoughts out of one bible verse sent in my email. The phrase that God is love rings true, because all the desires that he puts in my heart are desires to love others, and that makes me a happier nicer person in return!

1 comment:

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

It is amazing how God can help us change our desires -- and the new desires are so much better.