About You

You are LOVED by God. There is nothing you can do, or can't do to make him love you more or less. He loves you because he loves you. Because you are His child.

YOU ARE~
Redeemed
Worthy
More then your past
Forgiven
Whole
Enough
Worth it
A treasure
Righteous
Free
Accepted
You matter.


Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Not getting what we want

I received this in a devotional this morning and thought it was very good and gave me something to think about!

Not Getting What We Want







"Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, 'My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.' "


-Matthew 26:39






For years I pleaded with God to give me hands and feet that would work. I never got what I wanted. Looking back, I can see God's wisdom in not granting my wish. From those torrid times of pleading, I've come away all the better for not having received my greatest desire. My faith is stronger. My love for Jesus is brighter. It wouldn't be the same had my wish been granted.






Great things can happen when God does not give us what we want. Even the Father did not abide by the pleadings of His Son. In the Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus longed to bypass the cross. He hoped it might be possible for His Father to take Him in another direction. But at the close of His prayer, Jesus knew His pleadings were over. He was heading for Calvary.






But, oh, the glorious things that happened as a result of the Father's denying the Son His request. For one thing, the salvation of the world hinged on Christ's obedience to the Father's will. Thank heaven that the cross happened.






A lot may hinge on God saying "no" to your wants and wishes. A lot of good may result in His taking you in another direction. So, what is it you want? Popularity or a clean reputation? An agreeable husband, an understanding wife? A bank loan? A thin body? If God does not grant you your wish, please know that He wants to strengthen you as you accept what comes from His hand. Ultimately, that may be the very thing your heart desires most.






Lord, not my will but Your will be done today!



Taken from Diamonds in the Dust. Copyright © 1993 by Joni Eareckson Tada. Used by permission. Zondervan Publishing House, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49530

No comments: